Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Easy Sloppy Joes (from scratch)




Like most people, I try and watch how I eat most of the time. And I'd say I cook pretty healthy most of the time.  But sometimes that can be difficult when you have three little mouths to cook for (and a slightly picky husband).  I have to keep my weekly menu planning with at least two days a week of 'kid friendly' meals.  And how much more kid friendly can you get than sloppy joes? 

I now make my sloppy joes from scratch. I took the main ingredients from the back of the Manwich can, and added my own twist.  I don't even buy the Manwich cans anymore like I used to.  Did you ever read the back of that can?  You better get a dictionary out.  I don't know about you, but when I have the choice between making something from scratch or buying from a store, I'm always going to go with option A.  And if it's super easy to do and tastes almost identical, if not better, than the store bought stuff…well, that makes me just want to do a little happy dance.  

This recipe is SO easy and SO delicious. 

What you'll need:
1 lb. ground beef (I use lean ground beef)
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (any color you like)
1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional)

Directions:
Brown ground beef in a skillet.  Drain.



Return to heat and add in all remaining ingredients. Stir and let simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes.  The longer it simmers, the thicker the sauce will be. 

Put it on a bun and eat.  How simple was that?  And you'll never buy store bought again.




*For an extra 'kid friendly' way to make them, add a slice of Velveeta cheese and pop in the microwave for 20 seconds.  Pure cheesy, deliciousness.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment