Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fried Chicken Breasts


I don't know about you, but chicken is one of my favorite foods. There's thousands of different ways to prepare it and it's always delicious.  Well, maybe not ALWAYS.  But the weird thing about me is that I can eat chicken breast, but no other part of a chicken. And even eating a chicken breast, it has to be sliced extremely thin.  I don't know what it is but the thought of gnawing on a bone just grosses me out.  I know, I know.  I'm crazy.  But it's just this weird thing I have.  I guess you can call me a slightly picky eater.  Note to self:  remember I just admitted that when I say "these kids don't eat anything, where did they come from?"

 Every time someone ate a fried chicken leg around me I was always envious.  I wanted the crunchy, fatty, amazingly delicious taste but I couldn't bring myself to touch that thing!  So I decided to come up with a recipe for my own fried chicken.  Using chicken breast.  And the outcome was amazing.  If I could marry a food, this would be my groom.

Ingredients:
1 package boneless chicken breasts
2 cups flour
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. paprika
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine
oil for frying

Directions:
Remove any excess fat from chicken breast and fillet to make them as thin as you like. (I usually get three filleted pieces from one chicken breast). Set aside.

In a bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and paprika.
In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, and melted butter.

Place the bowls side by side.  Dip your chicken breasts in the flour mixture first making sure to coat both sides. Then dip the floured chicken breasts in the egg mixture, then back into the flour.  Set on a plate.
 
          


In an electric skillet or a frying pan, heat oil on high.  To test the temperature of the oil, drop a piece of flour into the oil.  If it bubbles up quickly, it's ready.

Place your chicken in the pan.  You'll probably have to do this in two batches.  You don't want to overcrowd the pan.

Lower the temperature to medium low. Fry on one side for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Flip and fry another 8 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes of cooking, turn the heat back up to high.  This will give your chicken that nice crispy breading.



When the chicken is golden brown, remove from the pan and place on a paper towel covered plate to remove any excess oil.  Serve with some mashed potatoes and corn and you have some delicious comfort food. Amazing.


2 comments:

  1. i will surely be trying this one .love this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im going to try this the night before we leave for camping. Refrigerate and serve cold for lunch after setting up camp! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete