Sunday, March 2, 2014

Easy DIY Coffee Filter Wreath






What You'll Need:



  • 1 Package of coffee filters (around 100-150 depending on the fullness of your wreath)
  • Duct tape
  • Glue gun & glue sticks
  • Ribbon (for hanging)
  • Wire hanger (optional)
  • Pipe Insulation; Size 1/2 in. x 6 ft ( Can be found at your local Home Depot for around $1.18)
I started by cutting the pipe insulation in half.  You actually can get two wreath forms for $1.18.  That's a pretty awesome deal!  

I straightened out a wire hanger as straight as I could get it and inserted into the isolation.


This step is completely optional, but I found that it helped shape the pipe into more of a circle shape.  

Then I duct taped the ends together.



It's not a perfect circle, but the coffee filters will actually make the shape.  So don't worry if it comes out a little odd looking.

There's no specific way to fold the coffee filters.  You can scrunch them, fold them, whatever look you want.  I did the front by folding the sides of the coffee filter in, then folding it in half, and then folded the bottom up a slight bit so I could put the hot glue onto it.


I then started to glue the filters on the wreath, covering as much as the front as I could. 


Continue until the entire front section of the wreath is covered.  

Once I had the front covered, I flipped the wreath over and glued a ribbon onto the back.  


Then I looped it, and glued it together.


Just make sure to measure how long your ribbon needs to be by holding up your wreath where you're going to hang it and add about a 1/2 inch.

Once I had the ribbon glued, I started to crinkle up the coffee filters into a flower-like shape. 


I then glued them all around the back and sides, making sure to cover every part of the insulation pipe.  


When you're finished, just scrunch and fluff to get more of a desired shape.  If you see any spots you missed, just scrunch up some more filters and fill them in.  You can glue as little or as many filters as you want.  The fuller you want the wreath, the more you glue on.  

I hung my wreath onto a command hook on my laundry room door and made a bow with the same ribbon I used on the wreath and just hot glued it on.  



You can add flowers, more ribbon, or whatever you like to it.  But I just love the simplicity of the white  wreath on the white door.  I think it looks pretty and clean and perfect for my laundry room door.

The entire wreath costs me around $2.50 because most of the items I used I already had on hand.  

I could see myself getting obsessed with making these.  You can make them as large or small as you like. You can change the shape, or also change the color of them by dying the filters, dipping them in paint, or adding different ribbons for holidays.  The possibilities are endless. And that makes me want to put on my little dancing shoes and do a happy dance!


No comments:

Post a Comment