Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Classic Favorite…Spaghetti & Mini Meatballs

Pasta night.  A night I actually dreaded when I was little because we had TWO, count them, TWO pasta nights a week in our house.  We attended church so much and my mother needed something quick for those nights.  So there I was, with my small face and large hair, staring into a bowl of spaghetti.  I just stared thinking, good Lord NOT again.  As I grew up, those pasta nights only came down to once a week. Sundays.  That was the day.  And I hated them.  When I got married I swore off pasta.  I would NOT make it.  I didn't care it was the "Italian thing to do".  I just wanted macaroni gone from my life.  And it was. (for a while).

Then my kids came.  And they grew.  And my family got bigger.  And so did our food bill.  Now here I was thinking, "what can I make that isn't too expensive and it's quick and fairly easy to make?"  Yup.  You guessed it.  Pasta!  I made a pasta night once a week.  Okay, so you're probably thinking "Tina, if you hated pasta night so much as a kid, why would you do it with your kids?"  And the answer is simple.  My kids aren't big annoying pains like I was.  They actually LOVE it.  So Tuesday became THE night.  And honestly, I guess because I didn't make it for so long, I am enjoying it!  See?  It's always good to try new things or retry old things.  *cue Mr. Rogers music*



What more classic dish can you get than spaghetti and meatballs?  It's inexpensive, easy, and fun for the kiddos to eat.  So here's my recipe for it.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Ingredients:

Meatballs:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork, beef, and veal mix ( most grocery stores sell it as a "meatloaf mixture") *can also use regular ground beef*
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup romano or parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • oil for frying

Directions:


In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat enough oil to go half way up your meatballs.

For meatballs, mix all ingredients in a large bowl by hand.  Using your hands and depending on the size meatball you would like to make, take the amount of meat mixture and roll between your hands to form a ball.

Place meatballs in the oil and fry on all sides until brown.  The sides and middle will not be cooked.  When they're brown on all sides, place on a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.



In the meantime, bring your marinara sauce to a slow slimmer, on medium heat.  When your meatballs are finished browning, add them into the sauce.  Place a wooden spoon on the top of the pot and rest the cover halfway on the pot.  Simmer for 30-40 minutes, being careful when you stir  so you won't break the meatballs.  

Keep warm until ready to serve.



Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add I Tbsp. of salt to the water.  Cook spaghetti according to the package.  Drain.  

Toss spaghetti with sauce and serve with meatballs.  Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve.

Enjoy!






Serves: 4-5
Makes: 25 large meatballs or 40 small meatballs









No comments:

Post a Comment