Friday, May 9, 2014

Bedroom Furniture Makeover Part 2

If you saw my post about how I stained my nightstands black, I said that I would be bringing you an update on my dresser.  I pretty much duplicated the exact way I did my nightstands except the only difference was that I had a broken corner I had to fix.  Here's how the total project turned out:


I was super happy with the way it turned out.  So lets get right into the makeover shall we?

Here's the dresser before in all it's ugly glory:


This was horrendous, not going to lie.  Again, it had tape on it where I had taped the drawers closed when we moved into our house.  It had scratches, knicks, and broken corners all over the place.  I don't know how I lived with this for as long as I did.  I guess it's because every time I wanted to do a new project or fix up a room in my house this was the last place that was shown any love.  Obviously!

If you want to see step by step how to stain your furniture black, click HERE.  This post is going to stay pretty basic and I didn't really take step by step pictures because it was basically the same steps as my previous furniture re-do.

But I started out removing all the drawers and sanding everything down.


I used my hand sander for the large surfaces, and had to sand by hand all the narrow parts and details on the dresser.  It took me about an hour or so.  I didn't have to sand down to the bare wood.  Just sand it enough to take the finish off and have something for the stain to stick to.

I sanded all the drawers down and had to fix that broken corner.  Luckily, I found the chunk that had broken off in one of my other drawers so all I had to do was apply some wood glue, stick it on, and fill in the cracks with wood filler.  I clamped it down and let it all set and dry overnight.


When it was dry, I sanded it all down so it was smooth to the touch.  Remember the rule:  If you can feel it, you'll see it when you paint or stain.  So I made sure it was as smooth as I could get it.

I filled in all holes where the hardware was previously, because I knew I would be moving the hardware around.  21 knobs on one dresser?!  That's just absurd!  So I knew I would be cutting that by at least half!


I applied the stain with foam brushes, letting it dry overnight between coats.

I dipped the hardware, had hubby drill the new holes, and I was finished!





I think I've found my new hobby with re-doing furniture and DIY projects.  Maybe it would fall under the category of slightly obsessed? What do you think?

Keep checking back for my future post which I'll be showing you how I made my headboard.  Well, I guess that answers my above question!








No comments:

Post a Comment